As you plan for your wedding, flowers play an important role. Observe your friends' wedding albums and you can see that the flowers appear in all the photographs - the bouquet, with the entourage, the church and at the reception. It is crucial to consider which flowers are to suit your theme. Here's a roundup of today's popular flowers used at weddings.
1. Calla lilies come in a range of colors but the white ones exude sophistication. White callas are in demand for its unmatched elegance but the black calla makes a striking centerpiece in any arrangement. There is also the yellow-orange variety and bright yells callas that are very uplifting.
2. Gerber Daisies are widely known in most parts of the world because it's probably how we all drew our flowers as children. Gerberas have an extensive range of colors and are available all year round. It works well in bouquets and makes pretty centerpieces.
3. Orchids are very durable wedding flowers. Although they may seem delicate, they are able to survive without water for a few days which makes them perfect for a summer wedding. Cymbidium orchids and Phalaenopsis orchids create very feminine bouquets and arrangements.
4. Roses are the ever reliable choice for a wedding. There seems to have endless varieties in every shape, size, color, and scent. Colors can range from red, yellow, light green, white, to black. Roses are the timeless choice for a romantic themed wedding.
5. Tulips have become a wedding favorite, having more than 500 varieties available in the market. Traditionally, tulips were only in season in springtime but commercial growers today manage to extend its availability even for a wedding in winter or summer.
6. Hyderangeas are increasingly popular for weddings, especially since they are widely grown in Asia. They can either be used alone to create an elegant arrangement yet they also work well with other floral varieties. There is a range of colors depending on the season.
7. Freesias make a great choice for its delicate blooms and subtle fragrance. They come in various colors such as lilac, pink, orange, red, and white. For vintage wedding themes, Freesias are a popular option for the bouquet and centerpiece.
8. Anthuriums, or Flamingo flowers are extremely popular for Tropical themed weddings. They come in a lot of colors: red, green, pink, and white. They work best for centerpieces or large arrangements for a church ceremony.
9. Heliconia is a very bold plant and durable as it is available all year round. Its yellow and red colors can brighten up a room and create striking designs for any wedding ceremony or reception.
10. Philippine Jasmine, or what we call our national flower the Sampaguita, can also be used for its delicate petals and fragrance. Locals usually string the flowers into leis, corsages, and crowns. They are sold almost everywhere by vendors outside churches or in the streets.
11. Don't forget the foliage. A good florist knows that an essential part of the floral arrangement is the foliage. Ivy is traditional foliage used at weddings for the bouquet and boutonnieres, but one can get creative and use other flowers.
12. Make use of tropical foliage. If you're having a tropical themed wedding, palm leaves create a base for larger floral arrangements. Anhturiums have heart-shaped leaves that instantly set the mood for weddings.